Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Life is a Bowl Full of 40 Pounds of Cherries

Out of order, but isn't she cute??


Okay, onto the real post. Mom and Dad know a guy in the Paradise Valley that has pie cherry trees, and he doesn't want the cherries. For shame! So, Mom and Dad went and picked them, and my job was to pit them. I thought this was all fine and dandy, but there were 40 pounds (Dad's estimate) and so it took me all week!

Here is a sink-full. I estimate I had about 4 or 5 batches like this.


Here are some cherries, all nicely pitted, ready to be frozen. But Reder had another idea....


Make pie, of course! He is a great pie helper. Mostly he just likes to taste the fruit mixed with sugar, but he's getting good at fluting the edge with a fork.


Oh, yummy. We really enjoyed it. I guess a week's worth of work was worth it - we have enough frozen for about 12 pies, plus I made a double-batch of cherry jam, AND Mom has enough to make a double-batch of jam if she wants. I think we're set!


No comments: