Friday, May 1, 2009

Bird Hike

Yesterday the kids and I needed some fresh air - it was still cold and snowy but we got out anyway.  We went to the Cherry Creek access just on the north side of town.  We call it the "bird hike."  It's a birding sanctuary, and as spring is getting closer and closer around here, the sights can be quite spectacular.  Unfortunately we forgot our binoculars and camera, but we still had a blast.  Lately Reder has had fun looking through our bird identification book so he knew what I was talking about when I pointed out some birds.  We saw two mountain bluebirds, a pelican, many American coots, a yellow-headed blackbird, and a kingfisher.  To top it off a muskrat popped his head out of the water right in front of us!  I can't wait to go back...maybe this weekend.  This has also got me thinking that I should look up some other birding sites around the state, and if there's one close perhaps we can take a daytrip.  Ruby had fun once I realized her hat was covering her eyes and fixed it for her.  Then she squealed as she watched Reder run and jump like crazy.  I'm so happy I get to stay home with these two!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patrick and I went to the Cherry River Fishing Access last weekend looking for birds!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7230309@N05/sets/72157617319975736/

Anonymous said...

Iowa has pantloads of birds. You should come here for a visit. To top it off, we are supposed to have sunny days all week with highs ranging from 70 to 72.
-Joel