Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Snack on window-sill

Maybe this isn't as funny as I think it is, but it sure was at least funny to me at the time.

Tonight I was putting Reder to bed.  We had gotten the bath done, brushed teeth, pooped, etc.  But we still needed to get a little cup of milk for while we read books.  So we went downstairs, where Reder picked a cup, I filled it halfway, and I was ready to head upstairs.  Reder says "I don't need snack."  - Sometimes he is "really really hungry" before bed, so we let him take a bit of "snack" up to bed.  Something like shredded wheat, oatmeal squares, crack-bran (Cracklin oat bran) or dried fruit, to eat while we read.  It was unusual that he thought of a snack, but didn't want any.

I asked him if he was full.  "I don't need snack because I have snack already upstairs."  I knew this wasn't true because I had cleaned up his room after putting on his pajamas and brought an empty snack bowl downstairs with me.  I figured that he had forgotten that he had eaten it all sometime earlier.  He says "It is on the window-sill."  I didn't know he knew "window-sill" but that was actually where I had found the empty bowl.  I was worried that once we got upstairs he would see that his bowl was gone and send me downstairs to get more.  

But we picked two books, sat on his bed, and started reading.  It seemed that he had forgotten all about it.  We finished the first book, and he says "I'm hungry.  I need snack."  He jumped up and ran to the window sill.  He didn't seem to notice that the empty snack bowl was gone.  

Instead, without hesitation, he grabbed the rope for the blinds and pulled them up 6 inches.  There, lined along the base of the window, was a whole row of neatly arranged cereal pieces, sorted by type, size and shape.  He carefully selected a few choice pieces, then closed the blinds and came back to read the second book.  

1 comment:

Catherine McMullen said...

love it, it is amazing the new things they do and say every day.