This year I made the kids' Halloween costumes. We made a fun afternoon of it - we went to the fabric store and they got to pick out the pattern and their fabric. Lucky for me they both wanted to be the same thing from a 99 cent pattern! Dragons! Of course Ruby chose hot pink - she looks kinda like Barney. And of course Reder chose the colors that were on the picture on the front of the pattern package.
Today Mom came over, and we got all dressed up and went trick-or-treating downtown. They always do this the Friday before Halloween. Here are my dragons, all ready to go:

Mom brought costumes from her stash for me and Jas to wear too. Jason was Dracula. I was a devil, wearing this hideous red jumpsuit that my cousins actually wore at some point during the '80s. I also wore some red high-top Reeboks from the same cousins - awesome!!
Gramma Janet was a witch, and she carried her pet spider, Hairy, around with her, though I'm not sure you can see him in this picture:
All of a sudden Ruby got tired and wanted Daddy to carry her. While we were in Texas she learned how to stick out her bottom lip, as demonstrated here:
After trick-or-treating we had a Halloween party at church (was it weird I went as a devil??). Here are the kids doing the cakewalk. We eventually won a cake but it took awhile. Last year there was a mountain of cakes to choose from....this time the pickings were meager. Proudly my cake was the first to go, but it was one of the very few that actually looked Halloween-y. We ended up with a few cupcakes that Reder was happy to lick the frosting from.
By the time we got home the kids were pooped - bathtime was most definitely not fun! They are sound asleep now though.
Speaking of sleep, today Ruby and I went out and got her some new sheets for her new Big Girl Bed that we will hopefully be acquiring soon. We have a mattress and box springs, but I want a daybed. We looked a bit today but I refuse to spend $700. I think I will check Craigslist and call around to some thrift stores. Of course, Ruby chose Barbie sheets. For now I promised her we would just put her mattress on the floor and she could use her new Barbie sheets there. We'll do that tomorrow. She's a monkey when it comes to climbing out of her crib these days so it's time! Hopefully this whole experience goes easier than it did with Reder!
Also speaking of sleep, we took the bedrail off of Reder's bed last night. I told him he doesn't need it, and Ruby will. He didn't fall out of bed without it, and I don't expect him to. This morning though, when I went to get him up, I noticed that he had made his bed, all by himself and completely unprompted! Good boy!!!




1 comment:
How did you get Jason's hair to look so gray for the costume? It is perfect!
Katie, I know you keep saying "cousin," but I'm pretty sure I've seen you wearing that lovely red jumpsuit in the past!
Post a Comment