Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Hyalite Hike

This afternoon my parents babysat for us and Jason and I went on a hike up Hyalite Canyon.  This is the first winter the county is plowing that road and we are very excited about it - it wasn't a big deal when we had our Explorer but with our minivan it's more difficult to get there without a clear road.  We hiked up to Blackmore Lake...not that far but kinda hard in the snow.  We brought our snowshoes but didn't use them because the snow was packed down so hard that we didn't need them.  It was a gorgeous day!  It's strangely warm for January, and we don't have near as much snow as last year.

Katie on the trail:

Jason standing by the sign for the lake:

Self-portrait:

We had so much fun I think we'll have to coerce my parents to do this regularly, though I think it wouldn't take much for them to say yes.  I think they had a great time with the kids, and I know Reder did too, that's for sure.

On another note, here is Ruby in an adorable skirt that Gramma Mary and Papa Randy got her before she was even born.  She wore it to church today.  Speaking of church, sometimes I wonder why we even go.  Today was easier than usual, but more often than not Reder gets upset in the nursery and someone brings him out to me, and Ruby gets fussy and hungry so I end up sitting in the Narthex with her and don't catch a word of the sermon.  Now that's she's accustomed to formula she can have a bottle and it's going much better (today for example).  Anyway, it will get easier the older they get, but for now, it's just a morning of busy-ness that ends with two exhausted kids by 11 am.  Ruby is also getting two more teeth - I can see them about to poke through on the top - so she's drooling again and sleeping sporadically.  Not too bad though...when Reder was a little guy I remember sitting up with him at night while he was screaming in pain from teeth.  Ruby never does that, bless her heart.



Oh yes, and Reder is SLEEPING in the Big Boy Bed!  Friday night he decided it was okay and it's been fine ever since.  We took down the crib today.  I was almost a little sad, just because it's another step towards the end of his baby-hood, but at the same time he just has to be more comfortable in something a little bit bigger.

Well, I'm signing off!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow! If the snow was up to Jason's knees, was it up to your neck?