It is hard to believe but our baby turned 2 on Saturday. It seems like yesterday that she looked like this:


For the big day we went out for an early dinner with Gramma and Papa to Mackenzie River Pizza. Ruby loves pizza, so this was fun. Of course we love pizza too so we were all happy. That is except for Reder, who was running a pretty high fever. He spent most of his time cuddling with Gramma.

Ruby is wearing my Little Orphan Annie dress I had when I was a baby. Mom recently found it. It was too small for her but she liked it anyway.


When we got home we opened presents. Ruby very quickly learned that toys are cool, and clothes most definitely are not. She opened one box that had clothes and systematically threw every piece of clothing over her shoulders, searching for the toy that surely must be at the bottom. It was funny. Gramma Mary and Papa Randy got her a little doll with snap-on clothes. I remember having one of these when I was little. Ruby LOVES it. There are a couple of pairs of shoes to choose from but Ruby's favorite are the "hot pink shoes". I don't think the baby has even tried on the others, and probably won't get a chance if Ruby has her way.

Ruby has somehow gotten confused and instead of saying "happy birthday" she says "happy cake". This phrase can mean "happy birthday" or "birthday cake". We made Ruby a Mickey Mouse Happy Cake. She absolutely loved it. I think it turned out pretty good:
You can't tell but Ruby really is happy in this picture. She's just giving us "the look." She does it all the time.
Ruby got too close to the candles here. She was a little upset, like something hurt her eye. Today we realized it was because she singed her eyelashes. Oops!
Ruby loves chocolate ("chocky", as she calls it), so I made it a chocolate cake, and had chocolate ice cream. She loved it. Gramma and I sure liked the chocolate for a change too, though the frosting was not that great (store-bought stuff is just no good but I was too busy to make some). No one else was very interested in it. Those silly boys.
All in all we had a great party. Poor Reder kind of fell apart last night though, and when we checked on him before we went to bed his fever was 104! He's been hanging in there today but he definitely was out of sorts. The fever, and naughtiness, are his only symptoms, so I'm not sure what's wrong with him.
On another note, I meant to throw the Happy Cake away last night. None of us want the extra calories, and the kids wouldn't miss it. I forgot, and Ruby spied it this morning. I was upstairs helping Reder and she comes running upstairs saying "Happy Cake, Happy Cake!" I decided I was not in the mood to fight, and who cares anyway, so I let her have cake and ice cream for breakfast. She was one happy kid. Oh well, you're only 2 once!




No comments:
Post a Comment