Today was the big day - the first day of kindergarten! Reder woke up so happy and excited and ready to go. I plan on taking him to school in the mornings, and he'll ride the bus home.
Here he is in front of Chief Morning Star. He told me his teacher said they aren't allowed to stand on the cement or bricks of it, just the grass next to it.

Ruby was in the midst of throwing a fit but through her sobs wanted me to take her picture too. She was aware of the rule that Reder had announced, and look what she thought of that:
Playing on the playground before the bell rang. This is the usual routine - play until the bell rings, then line up on the asphalt where your room number is painted. This morning playtime is chaos though. I can tell right now that I will not be hanging out here everyday. Once this is all routine I'll likely just drop him off and not even get out of the car. I know, I'm no fun.
For once in Reder's short life he is first in line. I had to document this with a picture b/c it likely won't ever happen again, as he inherited the Daughenbaugh "slow" gene. He was just so excited!


Here he is walking inside with his class (that is Miss Jones' backside). I felt bad for many of the moms and kids, as a handfull of kids wanted nothing to do with this. I count myself lucky that Reder was so happy.
He rode the bus home tonight, and I"m not totally sure what he thought of it. I think he thought it was a bit long, but I'm sure once he meets friends (I know there are some neighbor kids right down the street that will be riding next week, and one is even a kindergartener). He wants to do it again though so that's a good sign. He was on it for a good solid hour, so he didn't get home until almost 4:30. I have never seen that kid so tired than when he walked off the bus today. He came home, plopped on the couch, ate a snack and watched some tv until dinner.
All in all, this was a successful day for all of us! I thought I would be sad but with all of our "practice" school days this week, I was just ready for this first day to be over with so we can move on. Hooray!


No comments:
Post a Comment