Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkins and Tomatoes

A couple weekends ago we went to Rocky Creek Farm to pick some pumpkins. It was an overcast but very warm day. We couldn't have asked for better weather! We rode the hayride to the "pumpkin patch" (they don't actually grow the pumpkins, the just throw a bunch out in a field, kinda lame but how it goes). Of course the kids wanted the first ones they saw so we had to encourage them to look around.

Here is what Reder finally decided on: (oops, guess we cut off the pumpkin!)


Ruby's pumpkin is to the left of her feet:


And we also got to climb around on some hay bales:


That afternoon I decided to tackle my gigantic tomato harvest. I'd already made diced tomatoes, salsa, pizza sauce, and pasta sauce. What else? Here is me with my second crop, holding my biggest tomato:


Jason remembered his mom made spiced tomato jam. I made one batch and we decided it was our new favorite, so I went overboard and made this much. Anybody need some??



I finally got to the last of my tomatoes this past weekend and just made some more diced tomatoes. Done with tomatoes for the season - hooray!!

No comments: