Monday, December 14, 2009

Elk in our Backyard


OK, not quite our backyard, but it is our neighbor's-neighbor's back-yard, or something like that. This picture isn't great, but it was the only time I have had the camera with me when I wanted to take a picture of them. One morning they were right up close to the road as I drove to work, and there is a huge bull. There are several males, some that would look big if it weren't for the huge one.

They have been in this field since Thursday, and there was an even larger group the weekend before that. They somehow seem to know that hunting season is over, and that this is a safe place to hang out. Plus, there are some hay bales nearby. The bales are disappearing, and I figure they will move on once they are gone (or the farmer chases them off for eating his hay). They were gathered around the bales again when I came home from work tonight.

Somewhat related, last Wednesday when we got home from seeing Santa, and the kids were in bed, we heard a knock that sounded like it was at the back door. I told Katie it was just the cold. But we kept hearing it. Katie says "there's something on the deck!" Usually when this happens it is just the Raccoon, but occasionally it is a bear, so I thought it would be worth looking. It was neither - it was a huge 5x5 white-tail buck. He was trying to eat the birdseed from the ground under the bird feeder, but his antlers were too big for him to get close enough to the house to where most of the birdseed lies. So he kept bonking the house with his antlers trying. When we turned on the porch light he stood up tall and turned to look at us. He was a beautiful animal, causing us to briefly forget that this is the same kind of animal that eats our bushes and garden and kills our trees. The dogs barked at him and he headed off. We turned off the light, and not even five minutes later the knocking started again.

No comments: