Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

We went over the hill to Katie's parents (Papa Rob and Gramma Janet) house for Thanksgiving.  We had a great time.  We had the traditional spread (turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, etc), but it seemed especially gourmet this year.  One new addition that I hope will become standard is a cranberry-horseradish relish that I heard about on NPR (recipe here).  Here is a picture of everyone at dinner:

And Reder's favorite is always the olives:

We only had 3 pies (not meeting my "five pies" rule), but this was plenty for 5 of us.  We had a carrot (which we favor over pumpkin, but similar), a traditional apple (yum!) and a pear crumble - new to us.  Although I liked it (no such thing as a bad pie), the general consensus was that pears don't belong in a pie.

Since the sun sets early this time of year, and it was very nice outside, we had a campfire outside.  Reder loves marshmallows, which meant that roasting them was a lot of fun.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone has the same, smirky, "I'm eating" look on their face in the dinner picture! LOL!!!

I agree, pears just don't belong in pie. Poached pears with brown sugar and cinnamon...different story. MMMmmmm!