Today was a wonderful day, so we decided we had better get out to enjoy it - we know that winter is coming! So we headed up Hyalite canyon to the Hyalite creek trailhead. We bundled up Reder and Ruby (it was chilly up there!) and put them in backpacks. We put Ruby in the backpack that we had always used for Reder and we put Reder in a new-to-us backpack from Jason's coworker Brian. This new backpack is great and worked awesome for carrying a heavy toddler. Thanks Brian!
We hiked up to Grotto Falls, the first named waterfall on the trail, only about a mile up. There were a couple of inches of slushy snow on the ground, which was mostly trampled. We were surprised how many trees were down across the trail - it bit more challenging to hop over with a kid on your back! I really enjoyed the fresh air and looking at the frozen waterfalls on the cliffs. Even the smalled trickles of water build up to be big ice formations, and even though it is early in the season, there were plenty around. There is one picture below, but the ice doesn't show well in the photo. The ice around Grotto falls was neat too, along side the green mosses. There were lots of birds around too - flying into the water - looking for fish or bugs? We all enjoyed the hike.

On our way home while driving down the canyon we told Reder that we were going to make Pizza for dinner. Reder said that he wanted to go home, "turn on TV" and "watch Lawrence Welk." Yikes.






3 comments:
I am enjoying reading your blog. I once told Joel that Lawrence Welk was my favorite TV show when I was a kid- he said that I must have had a deprived childhood!
Kathy
Reder might disagree, but I think this blog is more interesting that the Lawrence Welk show.
-Joel
I guess Reder must have visited Great Grandma Daughenbaugh if he wants to see Lawrence Welk. If he starts wanting to listen to Rush Limbaugh you may need to just say no!
Post a Comment