Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We have chickens!

So, I made my second trip to Murdoch's this afternoon after we picked Reder up from school. I haven't seen dimples this big on Reder since Christmas! They were both so excited!

Turns out they did not have Rhode Island Red's (I thought I saw them this morning but was wrong) so I"ll go back Friday when they supposedly arrive. You can't wait too long before introducing newbies if you want to avoid a pecking problem.

Anyway, we ended up with 5 for now. All smiles!


They even get to hold them! They say the more you handle them, the friendlier they'll be as big girls. This has to be within reason though. These poor chickies needed a break after we were done man-handling them!




So, we got 2 Aruacanas (they lay blue eggs!) and their names are Sam (Reder's choice) and PJ (Ruby's choice). We got 2 Buff Orpingtons, Pinkie (my choice) and Piggie (Ruby's choice), and 1 Sussex named Dandelo (my choice, named after an evil clown in my favorite Stephen King Dark Tower books!).

I expected to name the annoying chicken Dandelo but it turns out that is Sam. She pecks and picks at anyone who tries to fall asleep. Meanie! Pinkie and Piggie are really timid and they might end up being low on the pecking order. It's funny how you can observe differences in personality immediately!

We are so thrilled to have a new family hobby. I have a notebook I'm writing all the details in for future reference and of course Reder, my type A child, thinks that is an awesome idea.

1 comment:

sk said...

I love it. I am guessing somehow you can tell them all apart. I look forward to giving them a cuggle.